Today, I will share with you a list I wrote in my notebook more than 25 years ago.
Its title is “Just For Today.” I am not the original author of this list, but I don’t also know who is its original author. I may have copied it from some book, magazine or may have heard it from somebody. I may have liked it so much for me to put the contents into my trusty notebook.
Today as I read it again, I noted that each line of the list gives strength and progress. I also realize that I have tried to do most of what it says, everyday.
Here is the list.
This day I’ll do these thirteen (13) promises.”
- I will live through the next twelve hours and not try to tackle all of life’s problem at once.
- I will improve my mind
- I will learn something useful.
- I will learn something that requires effort, thought, and concentration.
- I will be agreeable, I will look my best, speak in a well modulated voice, and be courteous and considerate.
- I will not find fault with friends, relatives or colleagues.
- I will not try to change or improve anyone but myself..
- I will have a program, I might not follow it exactly but I will have it.
- I will save myself from two enemies—hurry and indecision.
- I will do a good turn and keep it a secret,
- I will do two things I don’t want to do. Just for the exercise.
- I will believe in myself.
- I will give my best to the world and feel confident that the world will give its best to me.
-Just for Today
It may be difficult to do all the 13 items listed above within one day. Perhaps doing it a thing at a time will help, if only to get the ball rolling. But give it a try. It is worth the effort.